Monday 20 September 2010

In the Beginning there was Interaction Design

OK the first day is over of uni and I'm now left with an overwhelming sense of certainty that this is now what I want to do. I was slightly doubting if I should actually do this course or if this is the future I want for myself. But thankfully to the lecture today and the overview of what is yet to come I can say that I will enjoy every last moment of it, even if at times I get stressed(which inevitably will happen).
Starting off the day with interaction design was really interesting. To be honest I was expecting it to be more games driven than it was, but after the lecture I'm glad it wasn't. If it had been I would have been left how to make games more user friendly, which itself is a good thing as that is my future(hopefully) at least I know can understand the importance of trends and the changing opinions of the public.
What I had overlooked was the importance of packaging and the feel of a game in its physical form. Granted a lot of games couldn't care less about the box the game came in, or that they could buy a digital version of the game(or even just pirate the game), but there is an increase in casual gamers that just walk into shops and buy what looks good. I have a strong feeling that to those who read this will be the more inclined to get the digital versions of a game. I myself like to have the physical form of the game especially the collectors edition of it, not because I collect things, or that I want bragging writes,  but because of the craftsmanship that goes into most collectors editions. Good examples of companies that do this are Blizzard and Bunji . Blizzard gives you such goodies as art books and DVDs of the making of their games.
As someone wanting to get into the industry this gives a sneak peak into it without getting in. Granted the scenes are more than likely brushed up and polished to make it look more appealing than it is, but none the less it's an insight that people wouldn't be able to get otherwise.
Bunji on the other hand fill their boxes with little pieces from the game, like badges and swipe cards. These can make the experience of the game more immersive, knowing what the little things in the game feel like, even just knowing the weight of a security pass.
The other side to that coin is it is a marketing strategy to get people to buy their product by adding more "depth" to it or even giving the sense of getting more for your money. I personally don't mind dishing out the extra bit for them but it really is up to personal preference.
All in all it was a good start to a year. It has already made me think about a bigger picture and solidifying the future I want to achieve at the end of it all.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a good start. I Looked into this subject a little myself. Only read two articles about it. This one:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1408/designing_usable_and_accessible_.php
    The second was not very good at all.
    I agree with you. Having a physical copy of the game with some extras really ties you to the game in a more personal way.

    Looking to hear more from you

    ReplyDelete